Trump inquiry: Court lifts judge’s hold blocking DOJ from using classified documents found at Mar-a-Lago

ADVERTISEMENT

the newYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

An appeals court on Wednesday granted the Justice Department’s request to block U.S. District Judge Eileen Cannon’s decision to seize sensitive documents from former President Trump’s Florida property.

The three-judge US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit said Cannon erroneously prevented federal prosecutors from using 100 hashtag documents as part of a criminal investigation.

They wrote: “It is self-evident that the public has a strong interest in ensuring that the storage of classified records does not do ‘exceptionally grave harm to national security.’ (if any) that have been hacked”.

New York AG raises Trump fraud allegations

This image contained in a court file filed by the Department of Justice on August 30, 2022, and partially redacted by the FBI, shows an image of documents seized during the August 8 search by the FBI for former President Donald Trump in March.  Real estate a-Lago in Florida.  On Wednesday, an appeals court overturned a judge's ruling preventing the Department of Justice from using confiscated confidential records.

This image contained in a court file filed by the Department of Justice on August 30, 2022, and partially redacted by the FBI, shows an image of documents seized during the August 8 search by the FBI for former President Donald Trump in March. Real estate a-Lago in Florida. On Wednesday, an appeals court overturned a judge’s ruling preventing the Department of Justice from using confiscated confidential records.
(Department of Justice via AP)

The ruling clears the way for the Justice Department to resume its use of the documents as it assesses whether to press criminal charges amid an investigation into top-secret government records held at Mar-a-Lago.

The government said its investigation was hampered by an order by US District Judge Eileen Cannon to temporarily bar investigators from continuing to use the documents in the investigation. Cannon, a Trump appointee, said the suspension would remain in place pending separate review by an independent referee appointed by the Trump team at the request of the Trump team.

Last month, the FBI seized nearly 11,000 documents, including about 100 with hashtags, during a court-authorized search of a Palm Beach club. It has launched a criminal investigation to find out if the records were mishandled or hacked. It is not clear whether Trump or anyone else will be indicted.

On September 5, Cannon said it would nominate an independent special master to review the records and bring out any under attorney-client privilege. Raymond Deere, a former federal court chief in Brooklyn, has been appointed to the position.

The Department of Justice argued, unsuccessfully, that a special master was not necessary.

CLICK HERE FOR FOX NEWS APP

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.