Cabinet Office Cat Rushed Into Emergency Care After Eating Lily Leaves

ADVERTISEMENT

A senior government rat had to take him to emergency care after eating poisonous lily leaves.

Ossie, the locker office cat, is now in an animal hospital where he is receiving fluids and charcoal treatment.

Understandably, Ossie’s vet is confident his treatment has a “good chance of success”.

Lilies are highly toxic to cats, and the veterinary charity PDSA warns that even if a cat licks the plant, they can potentially develop kidney damage. If a cat is left untreated, it can lead to kidney failure and death.

A member of staff has placed posters of Ossie around the office informing colleagues of his incident and asking for help funding his treatment which could cost up to £1,000.

The rescue cat joined the department with his mother Evie in 2016, where he was assigned the task of ridding the Whitehall office of a mouse problem.

A Cabinet Office source told HuffPost UK: “Ossie is the adorable little kitten and we’re missing him as he roams the corridors of 70 Whitehall.

“We’re all ignoring that his treatment is working and he’ll be back in the building and meeting his mom Evie very soon.”

Apparently his mother was seen sitting next to a picture of Osei while he was undergoing treatment.

The two cats came from the Celia Hammond Trust and were cared for through donations from the staff.

They are among a number of cats that have been brought into the government to deal with rodent infestations.

Downing Street has its own rat, Larry, who arrived in 2011 tasked with eliminating the No. 10 rat problem.

Larry and Palmerston – a former State Department cat – were sometimes seen arguing on the street.

Palmerston retired in 2020 to move to the countryside and “spend more time relaxing away from the spotlight.”

Meanwhile, the Treasury has a mouse called Gladstone.

The PDSA tells pet owners to contact their vet “immediately” if they think their cat has eaten or licked any part of the lily plant and “never wait for symptoms to appear.”

Symptoms usually appear within a few hours and include vomiting, not eating, drooling, more urination, tingling, and seizures.

ADVERTISEMENT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.